Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Boston to Austin

In spite of the major storm hitting Maine on January 4, we managed to have a very uneventful flight from Boston to Austin on January 5.  With all the hype about the coming storm, on Tuesday we shuffled some of our plans and went to Jed's on Wednesday night. Kennebunk is closer to Boston.
The plumber was glad to switch his schedule also.  He came to drain our pipes before the storm dumped enough snow to require plowing the driveway.

Friday morning we headed for the airport around 8 AM, expecting tons of traffic and an airport overflowing with travelers who had missed their flight Thursday.  Not so, light traffic and a surprisingly light crowd at TSA and airline waiting areas.

We arrived in Austin, TX around 4:30, took a shuttle to LaQuinta for the night.  Nice, large, comfortable room.  This hotel has just been remodeled.  Colors are all gray and purple, which it appears, are big right now.

The next morning we used Uber again to travel out to where our truck and camper have been stored since October.  Like this new type of taxi service.  Using the phone app, you just put in where you want to go and up comes the icon showing where the driver is located and how long you have to wait.  Both times it has been 10 minutes or less.

When we got to the storage location, all was well with our equipment.  Truck started right up, all systems working in the camper, so off we went.

It is about a 5 or 6 hour drive south, from Austin to Brownsville, where we have  signed on as volunteers at Resaca de la Palma State Park.  Since we left Austin around 11:00, we stopped around 4:00 and spent a night at Lake Corpus Christi State Park.   Great park with lots of fishing opportunities, judging from the dozens of boats coming in and out of the parking lot.

We had a scenic sight overlooking a large meadow.  At dusk we began to see movement in the grass.

At first, only their backs were visible,  but soon it was apparent that they were used to people being close to where they were feeding.


and closer, till someone's cat ran into the field and chased them away.

The next day we traveled on to Brownsville, and arrived at the Park.  It was late Sunday afternoon, so we checked in with the staff and spent the rest of the day setting up and checking out our favorite spots and trails.

Space enough for two tables.  Planning on having lots of company.

 I found this great plant hanger and made it into the perfect bird feeder station.  Ready for visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment